Several factors make AFib more likely.
- Older age, although it can happen at any age
- Conditions that place added strain on the heart including high blood pressure, a previous heart attack, heart surgery, valve disease, heart failure
- Other illnesses such as obesity, sleep apnea or hyperthyroidism
- Family history
- Drinking too much alcohol (routinely having 3 or more drinks a day or binge drinking)
Episodes of AFib are often triggered by certain activities. These may include:
- Heavy alcohol use
- Too much caffeine or other stimulants
- Periods of severe stress
- the stress of the body fighting infection
- the stress of recent surgery
Pay attention to what might make symptoms of AFib worse, so that you can share this information with your health care team.