If you've been diagnosed with cancer, there are several key questions about radiation and your heart that you should ask your health care professional during your next visit. These questions will ensure that you and your doctor have talked about major
risk factors so that you can stay as healthy as possible.
- I have a pacemaker. How does that change my radiation treatment?
- Do I need any special tests or checks of my pacemaker before, during, or after my radiation?
- Are there any ways to decrease the dose of radiation to my heart during treatment?
- What chemotherapies increase my risk of heart damage when combined with radiation?
- What type of cardiac monitoring will I receive before, during and after my cancer treatment?
- What symptoms might be a sign of heart damage from radiation? When should I call my cancer team right away?