It’s an uncertain time. But there are things you can do to avoid getting sick and feel more in control during the COVID-19 pandemic.
First, do what you’d usually do to avoid getting sick:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds—if you don’t have soap handy, you can also use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, but double-check that
it is made with at least 60% alcohol
- Cover sneezes and coughs—use the inside of your elbow, not your hands
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth—one small study suggests we may touch our face more than 20 times an hour!
- Clean surfaces touched often—for example, doorknobs, handles, phones, keypads, or remote controls
- Get vaccinated against the flu and pneumococcal disease if you haven’t already as any illness can weaken your ability to fight another infection
Beyond these tried-and-true measures, people with existing heart conditions should take additional steps to stay healthy and heart strong.