You can take steps to help prevent a heart attack or strengthen your heart after having one.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet
- Lose weight if you need to
- Be physically active—talk with your health team about the best program for you
- Don't smoke
- Limit alcohol
- Ask about cardiac rehabilitation
- Keep other conditions that make a heart attack more likely in check (high cholesterol, high blood pressure, poorly controlled diabetes)
- Reduce stress levels
- Keep up with medical appointments and pay attention to your body and how you feel. Talk to your doctor about any issues or concerns with your medications.