You can take steps to help prevent a heart attack or strengthen your heart after having one.
- Eat a heart-healthy, plant-rich diet
- Lose weight if you need to
- Be physically active – talk with your health care team about the best program for you
- Don't smoke
- Limit alcohol
- Ask about cardiac rehabilitation
- Keep in check other conditions that make a heart attack more likely (high cholesterol, high blood pressure, poorly controlled diabetes)
- Reduce stress levels
- Keep up with health visits and pay attention to your body and how you feel. Talk to your care team about any issues or concerns with your medications.