Find over 200 print-friendly fact sheets about heart disease and related health topics.
A toxin is a poison made by living cells or organisms. Toxins can
cause health problems on contact or when they are absorbed by the body.
The severity of a reaction to a toxin varies greatly. A bee sting
causes a minor reaction in most people. But eating food containing botulinum toxin can cause a deadly
reaction. Usually, the severity of the health problem caused by a toxin depends
Treatment can be as simple as staying away from the toxin and
limiting future exposure. In some cases, treatment with substances, such as anti-venom, can prevent serious illness.
Fortunately, the levels of most toxins in the environment are low.
September 23, 2011
Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine & Peter Rabinowitz, MD, MPH - Occupational and Environmental Medicine
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2012 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.