Untreated water is drinking water that has not been chemically
treated, filtered, or boiled to eliminate infectious bacteria, viruses, and
parasites (such as Giardia lamblia). These organisms can
cause diarrhea and illness.
Many infections that result from drinking untreated water go away
by themselves after a few days, but some require treatment.
February 21, 2012
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2012 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.