Talking to Your Care Team
When you have identified the things you value (see Planning Your Care), and how you feel about types of care, make an appointment to talk with your doctor and health care team. Topics to cover include:
- Review your values with your health care professionals.
- Ask your health care professionals to explain what choices you have and what to expect with different approaches to your care
- Ask what treatments will best help you achieve the things you value.
- Set goals for your care with your team based on your values.
- Renew this conversation every once in a while, particularly if you have had a change in status, or have different goals for your care. It is recommended that patients with heart failure or serious illness renew this discussion every year.
Published: March 2018
Medical Contributors and Reviewers: Craig Alpert, MD, FACC; Stephanie Cooper MD, FACC; Caroline Lloyd Doherty, AGACNP, AACC; Sarah Goodlin, MD, FACC, FAAHPM; Haider Warraich, MD