High Blood Pressure
Can high blood pressure be prevented? Yes, you can often keep blood pressure low through healthy life choices. Some examples of healthy choices include:
- Focus on healthy eating including fresh fruits and vegetables (often rich in potassium and helpful in lowering your blood pressure naturally), lean protein and low-fat dairy. If you are worried about your blood pressure, ask about the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet.
- Cut your sodium intake by lowering how much salt you eat.
- Limit how much alcohol you drink.
- Lose weight, if needed, and keep a healthy body weight.
- Get regular physical activity.
- Don’t smoke.
- Find stress-busting activities. For example, yoga and meditation have been shown to help lower blood pressure.
Updated: November 2017 | Published: June 2016
Editorial Team Lead: Keith C. Ferdinand, MD, FACC, FAHA
Medical Reviewer: John D. Bisognano, MD, PhD, FACC