Questions to Ask Your Doctor
If you’ve had a heart attack, there are several key questions that you should ask your cardiologist and care team during your next visit. Below is a list of these questions from which to choose regarding your condition. Print them out and bring them with you to your next doctor’s appointment so that you can be as healthy as possible. Tip: You might want to pick the top three or four questions that concern you the most so that you are sure to have enough time to discuss them them.
- Can you explain what happens to my heart during a heart attack?
- Should I go to cardiac rehab?
- What activities can I do and what do I need to avoid? What about sexual activity? Driving? Travel?
- What can I do to lessen my risk of a heart attack?
- When and how should I use nitroglycerin?
- What medications do I need to take? What medications or prescription medications should I avoid?
- How long will I need to take medicine?
If I need to take a common over-the-counter medicine from the drugstore to treat a cold or lessen pain, which ones are safest for me?
- What diet do I need to follow?
- What is my self-care plan
- What should I do if I have chest pain, shortness of breath or feel like I'm going to pass out?
Can you give me easy-to-read fact sheets on my condition and recommend some websites with the right information on heart disease?