Questions to Ask Your Doctor
If you've been diagnosed with acute coronary syndrome, there are several key questions that you should ask your cardiologist during your next visit. These questions will ensure that you and your doctor have discussed your major risk factors so that you can become or stay as healthy as possible.
- How do symptoms of a heart attack differ between men and women?
- What symptoms should prompt me to call 911?
- After I’ve had a heart attack, how long will I have to stay in the hospital?
If a stent is placed in an artery, for how long should I take anti-platelet medication? Does this depend on the kind of stent I receive (drug-eluting versus bare metal)?
How soon after a heart attack can I participate in an exercise program?
- When is it safe to engage in sexual intercourse after a heart attack?
- What dietary changes should I make following a heart attack?
- How often should I see a physician following a heart attack?
- What risk factors should be strictly controlled after a heart attack?
- Will I need regular stress tests?
- What risk factors predisposed me to having a heart attack?
- How can I enroll in cardiac rehabilitation?